Summer is a time for kids to have fun and be kids, playing with friends and going on vacation, to camps and the pool of course! Beyond that, it’s a time to do the things you don’t get to do as often during the school year. For a few fun inspirational ideas, I’ve created a list! This list is designed for elementary-age, but can be scaled to go younger or older.
- Enter a reading contest for prizes – Your local library surely has contests for different ages. Also, check out Barnes and Noble’s Summer Reading Program- read just 8 books and write a recommendation for each and win a free book! For more details, see Barnes and Noble .
- Enter a building contest for a chance to have your masterpiece in the Lego club magazine! Or, use Lego’s Digital Design Software on their website to build a virtual lego invention and have it displayed on their website! Click below for Lego’s site
- Write a story about Lego Ninjago and the winner will have their story published in an upcoming chapter book!
- Paint with acrylics on pottery, watercolors on stained glass (from craft store), by number, with acrylics on canvas, on posters for lemonade stands, with dot markers, with finger paint, on ceramic kits from the craft store, with stencils, with sponges, on wood figures like crosses
- Create necklaces with macaroni noodles and string and beads, puppets with paper bags or finger puppets with felt, magnets with pictures, felt storyboards with felt and imagination
- Glue a tissue paper collage, sequin art, foam stickers
- Try new food and recipes, take a picture, and create a recipe book with your new favorites
- Plant a garden in your backyard or community and enjoy picking fresh fruit and vegetables all summer!
- Exercise as a family- ride bikes at parks or in the neighborhood, go swimming, play baseball or soccer in the backyard, play tennis or golf, help parents around the yard and in the house.
- Drink lots of water and get lots of rest, because summer days wear you out!
Make a Difference
- Set up a lemonade stand to raise money for your favorite cause
- Get a haircut and donate your ponytail to Locks of Love or your local cancer center
- Visit elderly family or senior center, bringing them beautiful artwork to brighten their walls and smiles!
- Clean out your closet and drawers, taking outgrown and gently worn shoes and clothes to your local church, rescue, Salvation Army, Goodwill, and stuffed animals to your local fire station
- Send a card to an out of town friend or family member to make their day brighter
- Send our soldiers letters and goodies
- Share a canned good with someone in need by taking it to your local soup kitchen
- Smile often, laugh a lot, and have lots of fun!